Sign in to follow this  
Jojo

Is battery temperature taken into account

Hello ABRP Team

I'm wondering if the battery temperature is taken into account with the influence on charging speed.

It seems that all EVs has different charging curves depending on battery temperature. Leaf, Kona, Niro and maybe even Tesla.

If I look to your collected data of Teslas charging curves, I cannot see the parameter battery temperature.

What I can see are some "statistical anomalies":

Clipboard07.jpg.673b1b5e0a43e5101ffa774ad5774383.jpgClipboard05.jpg.b3b31ae8993f74beab2c9f31e40e7595.jpgClipboard03.jpg.07ef356ed6f4744cb21595a2b60cc34a.jpgIt seams to be important for route planning.

Thanks

Edited by Jojo

Posted (edited)

I agree: battery temperature is important when calculating the charge time. In winter I found that ABRP may underestimate charging time at the Tesla supercharger under certain conditions. For example during a recent trip ABRP recommended an early stop at a supercharger to top-off. When I got there the supercharger rate was around 60 miles per hour (17 kw/hour) instead of the expected 400 miles per hour (120 kw/hour) that ABRP had anticipated. Quite a difference! I think ABRP should consider the expected SOC% and battery temperature when arriving at the supercharger for calculating the recharge time.

Edited by theRealKanuk

In case anyone is reading this thread, recent Tesla updates start preconditioning the battery when the nav has a supercharger as the destination.  With that, charging seems to happen at high speeds.  I haven't had much issues with low speed charging after they added that feature.

I don't know if ABRP can consider battery temperature.  They don't know what your battery temperature will be when you get there, and those variables will depend on the season, whether or not you're liquid or air (like my LEAF) cooled, and how your own driving habits (aggressive vs. slow and easy) will affect your overall temperature.