PDXBob

Strange Planned Charging Time/Cost

Description: Quick Charger Planned Time Extremely Long
Replication Steps:
  1. Replication
  2. Steps
  3. If applicable
Planning a cross continent trip with my Chevy Bolt. I noticed that the line circled in the trip plan (see attached Casey's Salina (Salina, KS) [Electrify America]) has an extremely long charge time of 5:45 hours and a $74 cost listed. I recompiled several times on my PC, with the same results. I checked the Electrify America app, and there are no out of the ordinary fees associated with this charging station. I'm a first time user of the program (LOVE IT!), and hope this will help.
Edited by PDXBob

Interesting, when you added it as a waypoint it got set with a charge power of 3kW (instead of the 350kW it ought to have).  I'll investigate that, but in the meantime you don't actually need to pick it as a waypoint if you don't want to, the planner finds it on its own:

https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=4c7734f6-0443-4498-a169-0cba5ca23be3

I've been using the tool for several days (so much I felt compelled to make another contribution!) planning a route through the mountains between Salt Lake City, UT and Denver, CO. In a Chevy Bolt, I must select charging waypoints that include L2 and even campground RV outlets to make it. I managed to avoid most problems, but did note that if I add a charger isn't recognized by ABRP as a waypoint the charging times are not added to the summary line at the bottom of the route plan. See attached.

Trip 4B Specs.pdf Trip 4B.pdf

On 6/28/2019 at 10:58 PM, PDXBob said:

I've been using the tool for several days (so much I felt compelled to make another contribution!) planning a route through the mountains between Salt Lake City, UT and Denver, CO. In a Chevy Bolt, I must select charging waypoints that include L2 and even campground RV outlets to make it. I managed to avoid most problems, but did note that if I add a charger isn't recognized by ABRP as a waypoint the charging times are not added to the summary line at the bottom of the route plan. See attached.

Trip 4B Specs.pdf 1.82 MB · 0 downloads Trip 4B.pdf 1.72 MB · 0 downloads

That is actually intentional, since we assume that you don't want that computed as "driving time".  The idea is that if you're planning a stop at an RV park or hotel, you're staying overnight so that's not really part of your overall trip time compared to any other vehicle, since you'd be stopped in another vehicle for the same duration as well.

Good to know . . . but shouldn't the goal be to make waypoints as flexible as the mapped quick chargers? I haven't used the feature yet so now I am making an assumtion, but I noticed when I left click a mapped quick charger on the ABRP map there is an option for a, "Take a long break here." Giving a waypoint equal functionality would be very useful to those of us not yet possessing a Tesla, i.e. not having access to adequate charging infrastructure. A checkbox added to the "Waypoint Options" popup to make the users intentions clear would do very nicely!