Sign in to follow this  
Jason (ABRP)

Decoding the i3's PIDs

This thread is for anyone interested in figuring out how to get Live Data into ABRP for the BMW i3.

It's something of a manual process, identifying the PIDs and what data they contain.  Here's what I know so far:

• BMWs have a unique activation code (See link) which needs to be input to Torque Pro to connect (may or may not be true for the i3)
  • PID reverse engineering is possibly done via CAN listening (See Link)
  • Torque has a plugin which scans for PIDs that have data (Link) but often doesn't turn anything up for EVs.

Reverse engineering the PIDs is not something I've done before, and requires physical access to the car.  A lot of trial and error, and guesswork.  I'm happy to provide help in troubleshooting the setups and figuring out the PIDs.

Does torque work with iOS?  Last time I looked into it it was Android only. I don't have an android phone to play with. Guess i'm not much help here. I'll stick to updating the opencharge maps. 

16 hours ago, tjsean0308 said:

Does torque work with iOS?  Last time I looked into it it was Android only. I don't have an android phone to play with. Guess i'm not much help here. I'll stick to updating the opencharge maps. 

EngineLink is pretty good for iOS, and can use the same kinds of PID lists that Torque does.  I'm just not very familiar with it as an Android user myself.