alan stone

Dynamic routing

Been toying with ABRP for a while but could always work it out better in my head. However, I have just purchased OVMS for MGZSEV. I have also subscribed to premium on ABRP. It seems to be working really well with the live data from the car.

My question, and I have searched, is does ABRP change the plan as situations change? Say you are going to a charger and someone takes it 10minutes before your arrival will ABRP change to another charger? Or what if you are doing better it worse than expected will it amend the original plan?

I just returned from a round trip Ohio->Florida and saw zero evidence of dynamic routing to account for unexpected consumption due to weather or whatever nor for traffic. 

I decided to cancel my subscription even though I will be doing this trip several times per year. The map redrawing squirreliness and setting variables on the iPhone app and lack of rerouting killed my interest in paying monthly for this.

I will say the preplanning support on a PC is pretty good. 

The lack of Dynamic updates even in the premium version is definitely a problem, as it turns an unusable charger or an unscheduled road closure into a significant pain in the butt, particularly as it is illegal to use a mobile phone whilst driving. We seem to have a multitude of apps available to us, but none actually is the complete package. Could we not not get all the individual developers to sit in the same room together and devise the ultimate EV app? To have ABRP with dynamic updates and to have a similar 'live nearest charge points display' as in Wattsapp would be wonderful instead of having to keep switching between apps.

We actually always recalculate the route and check if there is a faster route available. So in terms of full charger we do not directly send you to a new charger, but check if there is another charger nearby that could be used as alternative, and then show it as an alternative route if it makes sense. Just ignoring full chargers is not a very good idea, as on a multi stall location a charger will free up pretty quick normally and also sometimes the state of live data is delayed on some networks.

I was in a situation myself already where all 4 stalls on an Ionity (we get realtime updates here) charger were full 10 mins before arrival at the charger and then when i arrived only one other person was charging and the others left already. As this situation can change pretty fast it does not make much sense, to send you to another charger much in advance (that actually could also be full by the time you arrive).

To minimize the chances of arriving at an occupied charger i would propose to set a higher stalls per location value so chances are higher there is a free stall. However other people might do the same and then those locations could get more crowded than a one or two stall location. Also on many places there are multiple operators at one location, so it makes sense to check some of the charge stops more in detail in advance if it has more stalles from other networks which could also help in reducing chances of occupied chargers.

• Like 2

When you ignore a charging station ABRP keep trying to go back to that specific charger. Even when you are already past multiple other chargers which are even bigger. It should be great if ABRP picks a new charger along the planned trip instead of trying to go back.