Jason-ABRP

Android Auto Feedback

We already know, that guide points are not handled correctly for showing distance and time in Android Auto, about the missing instruction i'm not so sure if that is related to guide points. So i need a plan to check this.

1.Great that there is a 3D view.

2.During the route, the arrow that indicates the position of the car and the whole map are positioned correctly. When the car stops (stop indicator, traffic light, etc.) the map starts to spin and the arrow begins to move in all directions and rotates with the map .With the continuation of the route, in a few seconds everything returns to normal.This happens every time I stop the car.

I use : 
ABRP Beta 4.0.46 (505)
Android Auto 6.6.612533
Phone with android 6.0.1

First, you create on your phone a route. Then click on the great blue circle in the middle of the base of the screen. Then click again on the blue circle and you will see  on the right of screen base an icon like an eye (Mode). Click on it and it will appear a screen where very low you find 3D   3D Perspective. Click on it. When you connect your phone to the car monitor, the map will be in 3D.

Or - which is much easier - you just use the map mode toggle button in Android Auto which appears when the route is started. It toggles though "North up" - "2D rotate" - "3d rotate" - "next step overview" - "route overview".

Just got ABRP going in Android Auto running today. Looks great, going to be my default map app now.

Would love an option to set the current battery SoH, since I'm setup to get this out of the Leaf automatically.

• Like 1

Depends on your car, some need a dongle to pick up live battery data. First job is to sign up for the Beta program.  Link in the play store. Then its free (Premium will give you live traffic and weather).

For the Zoe ZE50, go to Tronity.com and sign upl. There's an Android app too.  Then Tronity will feed live data to ABRP.

Cheers, 

Colin Begg

It looks like it's not possible to set the correct (current) battery level in the Android Auto app although it is possible in the phone app. This is a very important feature for us to be able to correctly plan the rest of the trip.

• Like 1

I tried the app on my ID.3 in an area that was totally not familiar for me (Imst). And I experienced the following issues:

- Top down map isn't usable for very narrow and lots of streets. (Has been reported I see)

- When taking the wrong route the app gets stuck trying to recompute. When I ask Google to reset the route it works fine again.

- Trying to plot a route where you don't have enough charge and no chargers are on the route will crash the app in a bootloop.

- (not android auto) when navigating with Waze I use the web links of the ionity chargers to directly put in the coordinates. Sadly enough the charger illertissen (Germany) points to a charger in München. Sadly enough I failed to see this mistake, but no worries I got to my destination (eventually).

- It does seem to read the charge of my car. However it reads the total charge of the battery, not the usable charge. Sometimes it also reports way lower, what I don't understand. Maybe the car uses the API wrongly (what is possible).

For the way back home I recently discovered the import to Google maps feature and will use that. I only tested it for a few little trips.

One thing I like on the Zoe ZE50 implementation is the ability to have current directions directly in front of me as well as the map on the main display. This should alleviate the limitations of the 3D map view.

Colin Begg

Thanks for implementing Android auto support. ABRP route planning is just excellent.

The Android auto experience needs some polish before it can become my daily driver. In order of importance:

- when driving through tunnels position is not updated (i understands gps signal is lost, but other apps use current speed and estimate position.

- the zoom level is too low, would need nice of it would be configurable.

And other improvements:

- When arrived at a charger should show how much needs to be charged

- sometimes the screen rotates for no cheese reason (looks like a 359 degrees rotate while only a -1 is needed?)

• Like 3

Hi, when you are at a charger it shows in the arrival soc in soc overlay, which soc you need to charge to. Also it should give instructions how long to charge.

The random rotation during driving will be fixed with next release that uses new mapbox version where they fixed that bug.

We will check the rest.

• Thanks 2

On 7/21/2021 at 3:51 PM, MartijnvdP said:

It looks like it's not possible to set the correct (current) battery level in the Android Auto app although it is possible in the phone app. This is a very important feature for us to be able to correctly plan the rest of the trip.

This! It makes no sense using ABRP if you can't set the SoC to begin with....

Other issues I have is that voice commands should start ealier (now 500m before exit) and on a bendy road with T crossings, it gives guidance when you just need to keep following the road..... 

If you have any ideas how we could implement setting the SoC on android auto please go ahead and tell us your ideas. If there is something we can do about it within the boundaries that we have from Google, we will definitely add it.

For now i would recommend to connect to live data in some way. It is also free and there are many possibilities. Also using ABRP with live data really gives you the feeling of a car connected navi. It works much smoother as you do not have to enter any detail manually anymore. Actually live data is a perfect fit for our android auto implementation. But i agree that we lack some features for people not using live data and we will check if we can improve on that,

1 hour ago, Samuel-ABRP said:

If you have any ideas how we could implement setting the SoC on android auto please go ahead and tell us your ideas. If there is something we can do about it within the boundaries that we have from Google, we will definitely add it.

For now i would recommend to connect to live data in some way. It is also free and there are many possibilities. Also using ABRP with live data really gives you the feeling of a car connected navi. It works much smoother as you do not have to enter any detail manually anymore. Actually live data is a perfect fit for our android auto implementation. But i agree that we lack some features for people not using live data and we will check if we can improve on that,

I don't think there is a live data option (yet) for the Mach E. Trying Tronity but that doesn't seem to work for me yet.... I guess the simple thing would be to have an optional field for SoC when searching the destination... or with the following step: before pressing start. (Pre-filled with the default SoC) (Potentialy hiding the field if live data is available....) 

You can configure everything in the app and then also plan the route and send it to the screen. So if it is just about starting SoC, that is possible via app. Adding a field in the search screen is not possible. 

So settings SoC in-between during the drive is actually the thing that is hard to add right now. In a future version we will get more map and action buttons from google, then we could add a +/- for example to adjust SoC. But right now there is no other easy way.

I tried the Android Auto beta a few months back and It was wasn't updating the location as I was driving in my 38Kwh Ioniq, so I gave up on it.

Tried it again last weekend after reinstall, and it still does the same thing. App has location permissions granted in Android settings and shows the location on the phone, but if you drive away, the car doesn't refresh the location on the head unit. 

Add that to the fact the battery level reports as 100% soc all the time and I think this is more of an Alpha than a Beta release.. 😞

Do you have a Xiaomi Phone? In that case you have to disable the battery saver options. Some Samsung phones also require this. If the position does not update due to missing location updates the SoC will also not Change as the app does not know you are driving. Do you use live data? If so it should show the current SoC. If you use live data you can also try to enable "override car position" in car specific settings (gear icon next to car in settings or click on car in the car selector on the map where the soc is displayed).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Samuel-ABRP said:

Do you have a Xiaomi Phone? In that case you have to disable the battery saver options. Some Samsung phones also require this. If the position does not update due to missing location updates the SoC will also not Change as the app does not know you are driving. Do you use live data? If so it should show the current SoC. If you use live data you can also try to enable "override car position" in car specific settings (gear icon next to car in settings or click on car in the car selector on the map where the soc is displayed).

I do have a Xiaomi! Thank you, will try.

• Like 1