Jason-ABRP

Android Auto Feedback

Hi Remy,

ABRP uses the navigation voice channel on Android. If your car supports it, you just have to increase the volume during a speech, that should then increase the navigation volume only. If that does not work you could check your car audio settings if it has a navigation voice volume you can increase.

• Thanks 1

On 6/8/2021 at 9:39 PM, Samuel-ABRP said:

We just reworked the logic for "override car position" in Android Auto. Now it is not needed anymore to activate that toggle button to get good position data in AA. The next AA version will also have some other considerable improvements, so stay tuned for the next version (which unfortunately is not publicly available yet).

I used the override because there was too much of a lag in the GPS position coming from EV Notify. That slight lag in SOC wasn't a major issue but with route directions a GPS lag made the app unusable. I look forward to seeing the updated version in beta.

Are you aware of the "logging out" issue? is that being worked on? It's happening to me regularly now. Quite frustrating.

Edited by Brian D

Hi all,

Finally had the opportunity for the first time in a while to try AA integration on a meaningfully long trip.

• 2019 Bolt EV
  • Latest ABRP Beta and Android Auto
  • Moto Z3 / Android 9

It worked reasonably well, but I did encounter some issues:

• For the life of me I couldn't manage to get a multi-leg trip plan to work properly. I could configure it fine on the phone, but went it got sent to AA, AA would just sit saying "calculating route" or "estimating trip" or whatever the equivalent message is. Finally had to punt and plan each leg individually.
  • Once underway, it seemed to work great for a while, but then AA seemed to start crashing periodically. I generally had ABRP up and an AA-aware music player playing music. First indication was the music would stop playing and AA was totally frozen. I tried two different music players (USB Audio Player and Rocket Player) and the crash occurred with both. I can't say definitively that ABRP contributed here, but I've never had a hard AA crash with Google Maps + a music player (which I have used extensively). One alternate possibility is that I had the phone up on a windshield mount and it got full sun, so it may have gotten hot and started de-rating, but there was no warning to that effect on the phone, so I'm a bit doubtful.

Not sure how helpful that all is, but maybe it's useful.

I saw a note that vector maps are now available in AA but I don't see that when using it in my car. Or is this feature locked behind premium? I still see the old OSM maps.

You need to update to latest beta. The look is still the same. The data source is still the same. But you should see that labels rotate correctly now and are not fixed anymore. Also you should see the 3D mode now and not only the top-down-view like before.

24 minutes ago, Samuel-ABRP said:

You need to update to latest beta. The look is still the same. The data source is still the same. But you should see that labels rotate correctly now and are not fixed anymore. Also you should see the 3D mode now and not only the top-down-view like before.

I do have the latest beta but I didn't see anything obvious. I will try the 3D mode though as that's what I was waiting for!

45 minutes ago, lexcyn said:

I do have the latest beta but I didn't see anything obvious. I will try the 3D mode though as that's what I was waiting for!

Please check that the version in the ABRP app is >= 4.0.46 if you do not see 3D mode or vector maps. Sometimes google does not rollout the update to everyone at once.

20 minutes ago, Samuel-ABRP said:

Please check that the version in the ABRP app is >= 4.0.46 if you do not see 3D mode or vector maps. Sometimes google does not rollout the update to everyone at once.

Yep, I do have that version - I just tried it out with a saved trip and it's working 🙂 

Loving the improvements, starting to feel much more polished. One thing I think would be good was if there was a permanent display of distance to the next instruction (or even the full instruction, so I know what road/junction it's going to be onto). It's something I miss from Google Maps, when I've got 100 miles to go down a motorway I always like to see what progress I'm making.

• Like 3

It's getting better and better; really like the 3D vector maps that are now possible. Still no drag and zoom of the map (e.g. to find a suitable charger to go to), but I understood that Google will be making that available for 3rd party Android Auto apps.

I still see one issue that was also in the previous version: Once I have started ABRP, I can toggle between a music app (Youtube Music for example) and ABRP by just tapping on the bottom of the screen. Now if I choose to switch to Google Maps for my navigation, and tap on the bottom to switch to the music player, the bottom tap choice still lists ABRP to go back to. If I want to get back to my Google Maps navigation, I have to hit the launcher dot and select Google Maps again. I don't think that is right. Once I have chosen a different navigation app, ABRP should not be the choice to switch back to anymore. The only way I found to get rid of the ABRP choice on the bottom bar is to restart my phone, because one started, ABRP will insist on staying the nav app of choice.

When I do it the other way round, for example with Google Maps or Waze, those apps always release their "lock" and whichever nav app I used last will be the one to go back via bottom tap from the music player. It's only ABRP which stays locked there.

Can you change this behaviour?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, maexxx said:

It's getting better and better; really like the 3D vector maps that are now possible. Still no drag and zoom of the map (e.g. to find a suitable charger to go to), but I understood that Google will be making that available for 3rd party Android Auto apps.

I still see one issue that was also in the previous version: Once I have started ABRP, I can toggle between a music app (Youtube Music for example) and ABRP by just tapping on the bottom of the screen. Now if I choose to switch to Google Maps for my navigation, and tap on the bottom to switch to the music player, the bottom tap choice still lists ABRP to go back to. If I want to get back to my Google Maps navigation, I have to hit the launcher dot and select Google Maps again. I don't think that is right. Once I have chosen a different navigation app, ABRP should not be the choice to switch back to anymore. The only way I found to get rid of the ABRP choice on the bottom bar is to restart my phone, because one started, ABRP will insist on staying the nav app of choice.

When I do it the other way round, for example with Google Maps or Waze, those apps always release their "lock" and whichever nav app I used last will be the one to go back via bottom tap from the music player. It's only ABRP which stays locked there.

I am seeing the same unexpected behaviour of the bottom bar (Android 11).

• Like 1

"3D" maps look great. I had some issue with the app starting saved trips from the head unit. I selected navigate but then no navigation started. It took about 3 attempts before it actually started the route.

17 hours ago, maexxx said:

We'll look into it.

• Like 1

It works the same as the android app. If you do not use live data it just estimates with the consumption model we build with the help of other users or our own tools. In the app you have more features like adjusting the SoC manually, however we did not find a way yet, how to do that on Android Auto, so it works best with live data, but if the consumption model is pretty accurate and you found a reference consumption value that works well for you it should also work without live data. It is however then static and does not adjust automatically.

Where the data comes from is dependent on the car. Some cars are supported via Tronity for example. Others only via OBD dongle. You can always also inject your own live data if you get it from another API for example.

• Thanks 1

I've been navigating a route with guidepoints in it, and I don't think they're being handled right. The distance/time remaining and predicted arrival SOC are being shown to the next guidepoint, not to the next waypoint/destination. Also, I had a guidepoint placed just before a motorway exit that I had to take, and  the instruction to take the exit did not show until I had passed the guidepoint.

• Like 2

Yes I can reproduce that. We will look into it. Thanks.

Can you please check if the missed instruction really is caused by the guidepoints or maybe is missing even without it? You can plan the route and use the emulated drive mode by clicking the steering wheel to see instructions.