Jump to content
LiamWhales

[New Car] MG MG5 EV

Recommended Posts

Car Specs: https://ev-database.uk/car/1313/MG-MG5-EV

Driving Model:

Option 3 - Direct Car Connection - Details of PID's in csv format for Torque app attached to this post

Charging Model:

Charge Curve - Insufficient data yet to be able to provide this as the car is brand new

Hi, my first post on this forum, I've been quietly following this app for some time but haven't until now actually had use for it. I really think the world needs a powerful tool like this for making the adoption of EV's happen. Keep up the good work!

I got a brand new MG5 EV on Christmas Eve this year ? Since then I've been scouring the internet and fiddling with my OBD2 dongle.

I discovered a lot of work done by the guys over at https://discourse.mymgzsev.com/ for getting the necessary information out for an MG ZS EV and as the MG5 is very similar I've managed to get most of the information to work (with the exception of ambient temperature and odometer readings). The responses I'm getting back from the PID's are occasionally blank so I've had to take samples over time and then used the MAX function to filter out blank values. It's pretty stable but sometimes 0 values still creep through, strangely the Battery Temperature readings are completely fine. I've done a few test drives and recorded the values being shown on the driver display unit and the values coming into torque and they now match up.

Live charging information is going to be tricky with both the ZS and the MG5 as the car alarm is set off if the OBD2 data is read while the car is locked. However the car does report it's Max Charge rate all the time so this may be the way to get this information.

The data I'm currently able to capture from the car is;

  • State of Health
  • State of Change
  • HV Battery Voltage
  • HV Battery Amps
  • HV Battery Coolant Temp
  • Maximum Charge Rate
  • Is Charging

Then with GPS data from the phone I believe this is everything needed to do the live data, most of this should work with the ZS as well but someone with a ZS would need to test.

I have my torque app uploading data to the torque web server at the moment to start building up some data so when I have more info, I'll update you with some basic profiles.

 

 

mg5_data.csv

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seem to have most of the data required now for an initial model, only got the low end of the battery to capture now.

image.thumb.png.a9fba772da63fb669dbb52c0dc064773.png

image.thumb.png.7790ee29f55d0fd33dc0eb3300f6069a.png

Speed (mph) Avg Power (kW) Efficiency (miles/kWh)
0 4.35 0.00
5 5.42 0.92
10 4.94 2.02
15 6.50 2.31
20 8.12 2.46
25 10.75 2.32
30 9.74 3.08
35 10.23 3.42
40 10.88 3.68
45 12.22 3.68
50 16.34 3.06
55 17.27 3.18
60 21.83 2.75
65 22.13 2.94
70 25.36 2.76

SoC (%) MaxChargingRate (kW)
28 82.3
29 81.6
30 80.7
31 80.6
32 80.9
33 78.5
34 78.1
35 76.8
36 75.8
37 75.6
38 75.2
39 75.1
40 74.9
41 73.6
42 72.7
43 71.8
44 72.1
45 71.7
46 71.4
47 68.8
48 66.4
49 66.8
50 64.1
51 63.0
52 61.7
53 60.9
74 46.8
75 36.5
76 34.6
81 33.9
82 33.0
83 31.7
84 30.5
85 28.2
86 26.8
87 25.1
88 23.4
89 21.9
90 20.6
91 19.3
92 17.5
93 16.1
94 14.1
95 12.7
96 11.4
97 10.1
98 8.6
99 7.1
100 6.1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Wow! This is some seriously great data to work from.  I've put together an alpha model based on this data, please go play with it on the site and see if it matches up with your experience.

We can add Torque Live Data support very easily.  Is the PID list your work? If so, would you like us to host the list, or would you prefer to post it on Github (or some other public repository) we can point the download link to?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, those values seem really good for the MG5.

I had a quick play comparing a journey from Edinburgh to London with an MG5, Zoe 50, Peugeot e208 and Tesla 3 LR 2021.

I did a quick post about it on SpeakEV here:

https://www.speakev.com/threads/mg5-charging-profile.156162/#post-2951764

It's a great result for the MG5 being faster than the Zoe and the e208 - are these sorts of charging speeds consistently available?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Sorry been quite busy and not checked the forum for a while. Thanks for getting this setup, I'm glad you like the data, my day job is working with data so I'm a bit of a pro ?

I'll get it hooked up and play about with the Live data.

The PID's are my work based on that comuunity's work for the MG ZS I linked in the post. So please go ahead and host the file, I don't have a git hub account let alone anything hosted on there.

FYI: The Battery SoC is the actual state of charge rather than what is shown to the driver (the driver display shows the percentage with some buffer space at the top and bottom discounted). I might do an update to have two battery levels, one actual and one as displayed.

The charge speeds are available (assuming you can find a 100kw+ charger) it's really not too bad, Once this pandemic is over I'm looking forward to taking it out for some good long drives. Rules allowing I'll take it on a 600mile journey over the summer, with the whole family.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To further explain the charging rate, it's what is reported by the BMS on the limitation of the maximum allowed charging rate. I have compared this to actual charging rates and they matched. Also consider this is with a cold battery, the highest internal temp of my battery from these recordings was 5C so I think you could even get higher in the summer.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@LiamWhales - I've got the PID list set up and hosted on our Github:

https://github.com/iternio/ev-obd-pids

We absolutely welcome inputs (and other manufacturer PID lists as they pop up across the internet).  My expectation is that when we add direct Bluetooth support to the ABRP App, we'll auto-import these lists to the app, so really good to keep these up to date.

Please run through the setup instructions to connect with Torque Pro using your PID list, and see if it works for you.  For reference, since you have a lot of 'computation' PIDs, those have virtual PID values assigned, which is how our Torque receipt service identifies which parameter is what.  If those ever change on a new version of the list I'll have to update the server.  You can see what virtual PID it's assigned in the "select what to log" screen (see attached photo)

Finally, the MGs aren't the only cars out there that throw the car alarm when you try to access with the doors locked, but I bet the smart people working on it will figure out a way around it.  In the meantime, if you want to contribute some charging data you could always stay in the car through a charge session with the OBD running to collect data.

One final thought, if anyone has an MG ZS EV, try using these PIDs to access data on your car too, perhaps they share PIDs.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for this, I've setup my phone and so I can start to get some logs through your servers. Checked and it's all working and data is coming through but haven't taken it out for a run yet.

With regards to the alarm, I believe the guys in the OVMS community have managed to get it working. It involves sending repeat tester present messages to keep things awake but that will drain your 12v Battery, not sure how I'd do that with torque though or if it's even possible. I have started work with a PiZeroW to communicate with the car, so I can do just that and record my SoC live while at home, to help my home automation system out a bit and not have to keep taking my dongle out of the OBD2 port.

In terms of the MG ZS, that's what the community is working on, all these PIDS will work for the ZS although I think I did have to change some of the formulas, which ones I can't remember. I think the only PID differences between the vehicles are the HVAC ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd be really interested in your PiZeroW project, actually, I've been tinkering with a lot of different OBD devices to come up with a really good device to help people get ABRP working with live data for cars, and that's one that's just shown up on my radar.

My ideal solution would be something where you plug this thing in, register it to your account, and it downloads the PID list from our repository and starts updating your data.  Then, when your phone is in the car you could get data directly from the device via Bluetooth or WiFi, so you're not beholden to cell network coverage.

My most promising device in this regard is an Arduino-based dongle called the Freematics, but it's been slow going with all the other stuff I've got going, and embedded C++ is definitely not my specialty.

But a Pi-based device seems like a really good compromise, still cheap, but easier to program.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm happy to update you with anything I manage to achieve with it. At the moment I'm just using to Pi to communicate with a Bluetooth OBD dongle and most of my effort so far has been in managing the Bluetooth connection.

In terms of what you are wanting to achieve, wouldn't a standard ELM327 Bluetooth adaptor do the trick, paired with the phone, your app could easily read the data from that, in the same way the Torque app does. Then the data can be handled and logged locally and uploaded if there is an internet connection.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2020 at 9:25 PM, LiamWhales said:

Car Specs: https://ev-database.uk/car/1313/MG-MG5-EV

Driving Model:

Option 3 - Direct Car Connection - Details of PID's in csv format for Torque app attached to this post

Charging Model:

Charge Curve - Insufficient data yet to be able to provide this as the car is brand new

Hi, my first post on this forum, I've been quietly following this app for some time but haven't until now actually had use for it. I really think the world needs a powerful tool like this for making the adoption of EV's happen. Keep up the good work!

I got a brand new MG5 EV on Christmas Eve this year ? Since then I've been scouring the internet and fiddling with my OBD2 dongle.

I discovered a lot of work done by the guys over at https://discourse.mymgzsev.com/ for getting the necessary information out for an MG ZS EV and as the MG5 is very similar I've managed to get most of the information to work (with the exception of ambient temperature and odometer readings). The responses I'm getting back from the PID's are occasionally blank so I've had to take samples over time and then used the MAX function to filter out blank values. It's pretty stable but sometimes 0 values still creep through, strangely the Battery Temperature readings are completely fine. I've done a few test drives and recorded the values being shown on the driver display unit and the values coming into torque and they now match up.

Live charging information is going to be tricky with both the ZS and the MG5 as the car alarm is set off if the OBD2 data is read while the car is locked. However the car does report it's Max Charge rate all the time so this may be the way to get this information.

The data I'm currently able to capture from the car is;

  • State of Health
  • State of Change
  • HV Battery Voltage
  • HV Battery Amps
  • HV Battery Coolant Temp
  • Maximum Charge Rate
  • Is Charging

Then with GPS data from the phone I believe this is everything needed to do the live data, most of this should work with the ZS as well but someone with a ZS would need to test.

I have my torque app uploading data to the torque web server at the moment to start building up some data so when I have more info, I'll update you with some basic profiles.

 

 

mg5_data.csv 3.43 kB · 1 download

Hi @LiamWhales

Would you consider collaborating on getting a common PID repository for MG EVs? I've been working on a working list for my ZS EV at https://github.com/peternixon/MG-EV-OBD-PID

Regards

Nix

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/3/2021 at 2:28 PM, Jason-ABRP said:

@LiamWhales - I've got the PID list set up and hosted on our Github:

https://github.com/iternio/ev-obd-pids

We absolutely welcome inputs (and other manufacturer PID lists as they pop up across the internet).  My expectation is that when we add direct Bluetooth support to the ABRP App, we'll auto-import these lists to the app, so really good to keep these up to date.

Please run through the setup instructions to connect with Torque Pro using your PID list, and see if it works for you.  For reference, since you have a lot of 'computation' PIDs, those have virtual PID values assigned, which is how our Torque receipt service identifies which parameter is what.  If those ever change on a new version of the list I'll have to update the server.  You can see what virtual PID it's assigned in the "select what to log" screen (see attached photo)

Finally, the MGs aren't the only cars out there that throw the car alarm when you try to access with the doors locked, but I bet the smart people working on it will figure out a way around it.  In the meantime, if you want to contribute some charging data you could always stay in the car through a charge session with the OBD running to collect data.

One final thought, if anyone has an MG ZS EV, try using these PIDs to access data on your car too, perhaps they share PIDs.

Hi @Jason-ABRP

How can I configure ABRP to use Torque data, and what PIDs (or sensor names) do I need to have in my PID list to facilitate the coms? I'm just getting started on my ZS EV list at https://github.com/peternixon/MG-EV-OBD-PID so I'm happy to adjust naming to make it all work seamlessly.

Nix

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/29/2021 at 12:48 PM, Nix said:

Hi @LiamWhales

Would you consider collaborating on getting a common PID repository for MG EVs? I've been working on a working list for my ZS EV at https://github.com/peternixon/MG-EV-OBD-PID

Regards

Nix

Hi Nix,

Happy for you to sue the PID's that I've put together for the MG5

If I make any changes going forwards, I'll make sure to provide the update to your repository as well

Edited by LiamWhales
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've just been playing with some routes for the MG5 and I'm getting some pretty pessimistic results so I believe the consumption figures and total battery size might be incorrect. Possibly because the data used was all collected in winter.

In a controlled test I achieved 3.2 miles per kWh at a constant 70 mph at 10 degrees C and would expect to get closer to 4 miles per kWh at 60mph.

The total battery size is 52.5kWh with a reported usable capacity of 48.8kWh. Anecdotally it appears that there may be a little more available than that. However, the journey I've been experimenting with suggests that 178 miles would use 90% of the battery at 4.47 miles per kWh, implying a battery size of 44kWh which is about 10% out.

 

Screenshot_20210428-174614_ABRP.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/1/2021 at 1:12 PM, LiamWhales said:

And a minor change to the PID file, the SoC was incorrect

mg5_data.csv 1.51 kB · 8 downloads

For SoC try this formula: INT16(A:B)/10, it uses the inbuilt functions in torque.

For SoH: INT16(A:B)/100

See if they give you the same results, they are what I use for the ZSEV at the same address as the MG5.

you can use INT16(A:B) instead of (A*256)+B etc and then INT24(A:B:C) etc for 3 data values.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

i'm currently trying to update our OBD commands from MG ZS EV to also work with the MG5. In all the above CSV files there is no header for those commands. I currently use the one from MG ZS EV which is 781 for the EV specific data, which does not return any data for MG5, so it seems the MG5 uses a different header for those. The commands with header 7E3 that contain odometer, speed and ext temp work though, so i guess i just need to find the right header to get the MG5 to work as well. The obd commands itself seem to be the same, as someone reported ABRP can read data, when carscanner polls it, which means we get the responses that belong to the OBD commands, but we request data on the wrong header.

 

Any ideas?

 

@LiamWhales FYI

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi Samuel,

When I first put those CSV files together I knew nothing about ODB, torque or anything like that and just sort of fudged them together.

I've been playing about with a can bus reader on the orb port and it's given me a much better understanding of the protocols used for odb and the messages the MG5 sends in response. Without the headers it means we get back all messages for that PID not just the responses we're after so torque sometimes isn't getting the data.

I think I've got all the info I need to make the CSV files work properly and give more consistent results and they will be a lot simpler to boot. It's something I've been meaning to get round to for a while but just haven't managed to dedicate the time to it.

I'll try and dedicate some time to it over this next week or so and provide an update.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...