Jump to content

Support for Apple Carplay


Recommended Posts

On 6/12/2020 at 3:14 AM, Jason (ABRP) said:

Unfortunately, while we've done some work on our side to get prototype support for CarPlay (and Android Auto), we've hit a bit of a wall in trying to get approval (or even a response of any kind) from Apple and Google on our requests to be able to even run the app.

For Android Auto, you would be the first mapping/navigation app to get approval besides Google Maps and Waze (both Google-owned of course). So while I would support your efforts, I also want to make clear that nobody should get their hopes up too much that this will be implemented anytime soon.

Apple Carplay is a bit more likely, there are some navigation apps on Carplay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2020 at 4:06 PM, Tesla Coil said:

For Android Auto, you would be the first mapping/navigation app to get approval besides Google Maps and Waze (both Google-owned of course). So while I would support your efforts, I also want to make clear that nobody should get their hopes up too much that this will be implemented anytime soon.

Apple Carplay is a bit more likely, there are some navigation apps on Carplay.

The Bolt's MyChevy App can display all the kinds of information we want to for ABRP, so it's not impossible.  They do have some more leverage, as they're also the ones installing AA in their cars.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 3:07 PM, Jason (ABRP) said:

This is because the Apple Maps API only supports one waypoint at a time (weirdly).  

Its possible to export multi-waypoints at the same time to google maps, at least EVNavigation can do it.

I attach two pictures that shows the route in EVNavigation, and when its exported to Google maps. When I try the same in ABRP, only first stop is exported. Please try to fix this.

I would love if you could put a little effort in it to make it work also with ABRP. Because then I do my EV trip planning in ABRP, export it to Google maps, use google maps in car play to have good navigation in the car.

I would also love if you could implement (if possible) that export also support TomTom app in the same way.

2020-08-26 10.08.48.png

2020-08-26 10.09.04.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

@conny - this is already done on the web version of the app.  Our intention is that if you're in the car following a plan on your phone, it's really only useful to navigate to the next waypoint on the list, as the waypoint following that might change depending on how much you charge, or how the weather or traffic changes in the interim.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 9:51 PM, Jason (ABRP) said:

@conny - this is already done on the web version of the app.  Our intention is that if you're in the car following a plan on your phone, it's really only useful to navigate to the next waypoint on the list, as the waypoint following that might change depending on how much you charge, or how the weather or traffic changes in the interim.

The problem with this approach is that  I think waypoints are often added purely to force the planner to calculate based on a specific route.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/24/2020 at 8:41 AM, ThomasH said:

Please contact Magrethe Vestager at the EU, she is building a case against Apple and Google tageting this issue!

Yeah, this is the real reason you are getting the silent treatment. 
However, there are alternative app stores and ways to get an app on the phone, such as sideloading or one of the app stores that circumvent Apple’s monopoly.

Just get the feature out there and let the world see the benefit of ABRP over the monopolists. It will speak for itself. Despicable how they pose as utopian do-gooders, and then try to sabotage EV apps!

Edited by joncox@alum.mit.edu
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not too sure that Apple is trying to protect its own Apple Maps software as they only provide EV routing for a few BMW and Fords. 
 

Plugsurfing has been given approval and is now available to use CarPlay so I’m sure it’s possible. 
 

Maybe you’ll have to link the routing to Apple Maps though rather than your current source of maps. In fairness that probably wouldn’t be a bad thing as I think both Google Maps and Apple Maps do offer better routing that the routing offered by ABRP. (I love the rest of the app other than the directions/route taken). 
 

Good Luck. 
 

 

7CDC2889-EEE8-4043-B3D9-03C51A305F27.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 3:14 AM, Jason (ABRP) said:

Unfortunately, while we've done some work on our side to get prototype support for CarPlay (and Android Auto), we've hit a bit of a wall in trying to get approval (or even a response of any kind) from Apple and Google on our requests to be able to even run the app.

We've been going through the official channels, but have been met with silence so far.

Any news regarding Apple CarPlay status?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/12/2020 at 3:14 AM, Jason (ABRP) said:

Unfortunately, while we've done some work on our side to get prototype support for CarPlay (and Android Auto), we've hit a bit of a wall in trying to get approval (or even a response of any kind) from Apple and Google on our requests to be able to even run the app.

We've been going through the official channels, but have been met with silence so far.

Hello Jason, did you have any news from Apple? it would be really really good, I am having some troubles with the android app (which I use for send you data) and I just can't use ABRP as navigator from that phone... we all need Apple Car Play support!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Definitely need CarPlay support! I'm about to buy a GPS enabled tablet to mount on my dashboard so I can use ABRP, but I would really hate it if I can use ABRP on CarPlay just a couple of weeks later. So I'm really hoping to get some good estimates on when (if at all) this is going to come. Obviously I prefer to use it on CarPlay rather than on a tablet. I'm already a premium user, so you already have my full support and I'll keep supporting you if CarPlay really hits the app 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

We don't want to promise anything soon.  Just know we're working on it (and actually making progress!) but we're not sure what additional hurdles we'll have to jump through before we have something Apple will let us release.  As soon as we have something publicly testable you can be sure we'll post here.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/10/2020 at 4:15 PM, Jason (ABRP) said:

We don't want to promise anything soon.  Just know we're working on it (and actually making progress!) but we're not sure what additional hurdles we'll have to jump through before we have something Apple will let us release.  As soon as we have something publicly testable you can be sure we'll post here.

Thanks for all the effort @Jason (ABRP), I look forward to hear more about it as soon as possible. And if you need a beta tester or any support at all, please don't hesitate to tell me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed. Thank you for the effort, Jason. I could really use ABRP in CarPlay for my e-Golf. Anything we can do to get Apple to move faster on approving your app? I have tried the Chargepoint App (just released for CarPlay in early November 2020) and it is a pretty poor effort. I know ABRP gets the details right so I am really looking forward to seeing you program!

Link to post
Share on other sites

After CarPlay, I think our next priority will be Android Auto since the build tools are finally available. Also, I can't take any credit, it's been mainly the tireless efforts of @Marc Pujol (ABRP) working on the CarPlay builds!  I do think we're getting close to something we can post to a very limited Testflight release, so be on the lookout for a request for testers in the next few weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...