Utty

Wrong charging duration in ABRP

Hey there,

I have noticed that the charging duration can't be correct as it was just shown me by ABRP.

image.thumb.png.3d8186b423a84504b713e1b8b57fbfb5.png

As it can be seen in all charging curves IONIQ drops charging speed at 83% to 24kW and goes down to around 22kW until 91% which takes ~7 minutes. Charging further will slow down to around 11kW until 94% and then the CCS chargings stops. This takes another 3 and a half minutes.

The second charging stop should take something around 26 minutes, not 16. Could you please check this in the database?

The plan uuid is f36b2863-16be-4ca7-b771-2790802c7592.

Best regards
Alex

Okay, so That means that there has to be a bug somewhere or did I configure anything wrong?

I doubt it's a configuration issue, it's probably a consequence of how we're currently calculating charge curves.  We'll take a look and see if we can find a way to increase the resolution on the charge curve without costing any additional planning time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I've noticed that my 28 kWh IONIQ will throttle DCFC charging speeds unless the battery is warm (>25 Deg C).  Did a charge the other day and only managed 37 kW right up to 80%.  If the App is working out charging duration based on a warm battery when it's cold outside, it will under estimate by about half.  Apart from spending more time stationary, it's also a problem when estimating cost for those networks (Electrify America/Canada) that charge by time and not the amount of energy delivered.

The 38 kWh IONIQ is less severely affected by the cold since it never charges at more than 45 kW anyway.

Edited by Ou Boet

Posted (edited)

Do you have this with multiple chargers? I also have an 28kWh Ioniq and manage a higher speed at battery temp clearly below 25 degrees. Max battery temp was 10 degrees at the start and 20 at the end

image.thumb.png.396b8e2eb27a8e8f2537baf3628ee696.png

Edited by BarryH
start charging max temp was 10 degrees

The 25 deg C was a number that was reported on a forum.  On the day I did my charge, ambient temps were around freezing and the battery was cold soaked before driving.  I don't have exact temp data because I didn't have my OBD scanner with me, but based on similar drives at ambient similar temps, I estimate my battery would have been about 10 deg C when I charged it.  Once things warm up, I'll see if I can do some testing and find the break point.

Ok, did a test charge this weekend in the cold - ambient a ball hair above freezing with high winds.  Managed a consistent 45kW (from a 50 kW machine).  Battery temp started at about 14 Deg C and peaked at 30 Deg C at the end.  Took the vehicle from about 20% to 83 % SoC in a smidge less than 25 mins.  Think I'll do another test at a higher powered unit next weekend (if I can find one that isn't Electrify Canada).

Looks like my previous experience may have been down to the DCFC unit and not a cold battery.

• Like 1

There is a mistake in the planning for ionic 28kw and 38kw between Perpignan to Lyon (in France). Two cars have got the same charging power (until 100kw). I don't understand... Let's see:

With 28kw (130km/h):1806329335_Capturedcran2020-06-2511_12_19.thumb.png.b351d0d584fcb2d959547390bf7d602d.png

With 38kw (130km/h): 1074856704_Capturedcran2020-06-2511_12_05.thumb.png.9de2d2cd1c9ddc0118adef2f56f3688e.png

Not sure I fully understand the question/comment above, but just to clarify.  The 28 kWh IONIQ can charge at up to 69 kW.  The 38 kWh IONIQ can charge at up to 44 kW.  Additionally, the 38 kWh IONIQ tapers earlier in the charge cycle.  This means that in some instances, the 28 kWh IONIQ can complete a long trip a little faster than the 38 kWh IONIQ, as indicated above.  The 28 kWh IONIQ is 16 min faster but with one extra stop.

The 38 kWh IONIQ can charge at up to 44 kW?

Is there a lier publicity from Hyundai? Isn't up to 100kw normaly?

yep. If mine breaks down, I will just buy another 28kWh. the 38kWh is a lot more expensive and only little difference in range (between 200-400 km a slight advantage)

On 6/25/2020 at 8:11 PM, Gillou said:

The 38 kWh IONIQ can charge at up to 44 kW?

Is there a lier publicity from Hyundai? Isn't up to 100kw normaly?

It is not a lie. Hyundai tells that the duration at a at least 70kw charger is 54mins to 80%.

This does not mean, that the IONIQ charges with 70kw. It just tells you, that it can go over 125Amps for a short time which is the upper limit at a 50kw charging station. If I remember correctly, it will take 3 minutes longer at a 50kw charger to reach 80%.