Jason (ABRP)

Alpha Feedback - Volkswagen eGolf

To verify and improve our models we need your feedback.  There's many ways we could use help if you actually own one:

• Drive a plan and compare it to the actual battery used.
  • Drive a plan with the browser active, and update your actual battery percentage in the browser.
  • Contribute data via OBD or other methods.

The best way to improve the data is to provide data directly from the car.  Connecting your car not only improves the models, but allows you to follow up directly in the car while driving! We have several ways of doing that, but we need your help to figure out what will work with your car:

• An OBD reader can be used in concert with a custom app like LeafSpy, or a PID list and Torque Pro.
  • If your manufacturer has an API to access data from the car we can set up access to that API, like we do for Tesla

If you're familiar with either of these, contact me at jason@abetterrouteplanner.com and I'll help figure out what we need to do to connect your car!

Thanks for providing feedback!

• Like 1

The winter charge times in regard to e-Golf 24kWh are highly optimistic. In the four years I've driven my e-Golf that has not been my experience.

With a temp set to -20C charging from from 28% to 83% in 14 mins are unrealistic. Might work in 20C weather, not in -20C weather. Time would be closer to twice the time.

The charge speed tapers off a lot after 75%. 

Yeah, that's a known item we need to figure out the best way to implement, no models vary charge speed by external temperature right now.  Charge speed is dependent on internal battery temperature, typically, so we'd have to do modelling to figure out what the internal battery temperature is based on how long you've been driving, how long you've been charging, etc.  

I suppose we could kluge it a little bit by putting a standard multiplier on the charge times when we return them, but it wouldn't be very accurate.  I suppose more accurate than it is now.

• Like 1

Hi, 

thanks for a good reply. 

One other thing. In the e-Golf it’s really not worth it to charge past 75-80%. The general charge time from abt 20% to 75% is the same as charging from 75-100. Charging past 75-80% I would only do if I had to because there was no other chargers to briefly stop at for the next stretch. In Norway we also pay per minute at the charger so it’s really uneconomical also. 

I greatly appreciate that your site now also helps almost all EV’s. Keep up the good work. 

Regards, 

jpf

• Like 1

Agreed, we use the charge curves provided by Fastned for the two e-Golf models (link), and the route planner is time-optimized in 5% battery steps, so it'll generally keep your charging in that range.  If it's faster to charge a little bit past 80% instead of going off-route to find a whole new charger, it'll pick that instead. 

It will also account for the "stop overhead", which is the "Time  to Open Charge Port" setting, which is the extra amount of time you assign to each stop to pay at the charger, and initiate the charge.  A higher setting will mean fewer stops for longer charges, lower setting can mean more stops.

Thanks for the kind words! Also, if you've got an e-Golf, we're still looking for a way to connect car telemetry to the site so you can follow your plans in the car (and we can improve our car models).  Does Volkswagen have any kind of telemetry API, or perhaps there's an OBD reader app / PID list that could be used to get data?

On 11/30/2018 at 8:11 PM, Jason (ABRP) said:

Agreed, we use the charge curves provided by Fastned for the two e-Golf models (link), and the route planner is time-optimized in 5% battery steps, so it'll generally keep your charging in that range.  If it's faster to charge a little bit past 80% instead of going off-route to find a whole new charger, it'll pick that instead. 

It will also account for the "stop overhead", which is the "Time  to Open Charge Port" setting, which is the extra amount of time you assign to each stop to pay at the charger, and initiate the charge.  A higher setting will mean fewer stops for longer charges, lower setting can mean more stops.

Thanks for the kind words! Also, if you've got an e-Golf, we're still looking for a way to connect car telemetry to the site so you can follow your plans in the car (and we can improve our car models).  Does Volkswagen have any kind of telemetry API, or perhaps there's an OBD reader app / PID list that could be used to get data?

It is possible to get battery percentage from Carnet.  Although not documented from what I can tell.  Tibber in Norway has an integration which displays battery % from the car in 1% increments (normal carnet app only gives 1-10 bars).  I have implemented the method into my home assistant, so now I am logging battery percentage one time per hour.  Essentially it is a call to an api with an authentication and you get back a bunch of data about the car, parsing that data you will find battery % as well as several other items.  

OBDEleven is also another possibility.  I have not worked with it, but from reading it should give battery % locally via the OBD port (no carnet needed).  Could arguable be better as you are limited in the API calls to carnet before it gives issues.  

I find pretty good agreement with a few trips made here in the 2018 e-golf, but would always love better models. 

That's great news, from your description, polling Carnet frequently enough to get good live data for you while you drive would probably not be useful.

OBDII(2) would be an excellent alternative.  We already support OBDII PID reading via Torque and LeafSpy for several other vehicles (You can read the setup instructions by picking one - EG Chevy Bolt - and going to Settings > Show More Settings > Setup), have you used this on your car to get battery % before? Is it easy to set up, and can you point me to instructions?

First off, I have not used any OBD2 readers on my egolf.  However, as Torque and LeafSpy work for other cars, I do not know if they support volkswagen.  To date I have mostly heard of OBDEleven (https://obdeleven.com/en/).  More discussions here: https://www.speakev.com/threads/obdeleven-for-e-golf.99649/.  Its not clear to me if Torque will be able to decipher OBD2 information from VW...seems like it could if we knew what message to ask and look for.  

Oh, that's interesting! I had assumed you had misread OBD II as OBD 11, that's what I get for assuming!

Have you tried OBDeleven before? Do you know if it supports Server Logging (Sending data to a web address)? If so, it may be even easier to set up than I originally imagined.

I have not tried OBDeleven.  I do not know about server logging.  What I can gather from reading is OBDeleven needs to be connected to the internet to work because it uploads data to Voltas during operation.  This is one of the biggest sticking points currently with that solution...what data are they always collecting that you have no control over, how are they managing that data, and finally the entire obdeleven solution will stop at the mercy of Voltas.  Unlike other obd2 scanner/apps, at least you can control more of this.

Perhaps I can inquire more directly to the obdeleven community.

In the meantime, I do wonder what frequency the car uploads its data to carnet.  I do think it should be possible to get battery % every 5 min or so, which would be useful still.